Psih. Drd. Gabriela HUM URSACHI & Psih. Ruxandra ILEA
The 4 area are a good instrument not only for psychotherapy but also in organizational settings. We use it to assess and modify teams or/and individual motivation during the team building training, in order to make organizational diagnosis during the leadership training in order to teach leaders to observe and work better with their team.
We worked with 56 leaders who attended the Leadership Program organized by Sales Consulting HR Company. They are head of departments and team leaders of Production Department in two multinational factories in Romania.
We want to present how the 4-areas rhomb can help leaders to discover team motivation at the job.
At the session regarding motivation we followed the next steps:
1. Individual rhomb
- Explain the 4-areas model: body/sense area, achievement area, contact area and future area.
- Ask them to think about self-motivators, the motivators which function for them in the actual work-place
- Ask them to organize these motivators on the 4 areas and link the 4 areas in order to obtain the personal motivational rhomb.
- All the papers (with the name) were fixed on the wall, so that everybody could see each other rhombs.
This first step of the exercise could be also used to emphasize the differences between human beings.
2. My team rhomb
- They were asked to write down what kind of motivators were important for the people from their own team
- Like in the first step they were asked to draw the rhomb of their team and stick it on the wall, near the self-rhomb.
3. The ideal rhomb
- In the same group people were asked to project the ideal rhomb for their team (the ideal rhomb means the most wanted motivational rhomb for their team in order to lead these people easily)
- Like in the first step people were asked to draw the ideal rhomb for their team
- Next step was to compare the actual rhomb with the ideal one and to see where the differences were and where they had to work in order to improve team motivation.
Read full article here.